You Want The Best For Your Child. Let Us Help You Advocate For It.
Are you entering a battle for child custody? Do you need child support from your former spouse? Winnie A. Bates, Attorney at Law, is a child custody law firm in Round Rock, Texas. Our law office has the experience you need for cases involving child custody issues. Child custody covers the rights and obligations between two parents. This can include physical custody, legal custody and decision-making rights. We handle child-related situations in the most professional and compassionate manner.
How Do Texas Courts Make Decisions About Child Custody?
When Texas courts decide child custody, they make that decision based on what is in the child’s best interest. Factors that influence the court’s decision include:
- The child’s age
- The child’s physical and emotional needs
- The wishes of the parents
- The wishes of the child, if the court determines that they are mature enough to weigh in on this decision
- The role that each parent had in raising the child during the marriage
- Each parent’s ability to care for the child and meet their needs
- Any issues that could impact the child’s safety
Parents should also know that Texas laws are gender-neutral. This means that the court will not consider the gender of the parents and instead focus on their ability to help their child thrive.
By considering a wide variety of factors, the court will attempt to reach an arrangement that supports the child’s long-term well-being while encouraging both parents to take an active part in their lives.
How Do Texas Courts Make Decisions About Child Support?
Providing for a child’s needs can often be costly, and child support can help ensure that a child has what they need after their parents’ divorce. In determining child support, Texas courts may consider a variety of details about the child and parents, including:
- Each parent’s income and financial resources
- The number of children that the paying parent must support
- The needs of the child
- Childcare costs
- The cost of medical care for the child, including the cost of health insurance
- The cost of a child’s education, including tuition
- Any child support or spousal support payments the paying parent must make
The courts aim for a fair determination that ensures the child’s standard of living is fairly consistent between the two homes.
We’ll Focus On The Way Your Image Is Portrayed In Court
Because of the variety of factors that the court will consider when determining child custody and child support, protecting your connection to your child can be complex. We will help you paint the best image of yourself and dispel any labels that may be pushed on you. Our attorney can help you determine:
- The amount owed for child support
- An established parenting plan
- Revisions to a parenting plan
We will coach you through the entire process while being mindful that the court evaluates your behavior inside and outside of court.